Borough of Matawan Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update (3/14/2020)
Effective Monday, March 16, 2020 Borough of Matawa,n municipal offices will be closed to the public until further notice. These proactive, preventative measures are being taken as part of a coordinated response to the continued outbreak and to aggressively mitigate the spread of the COVID-19 virus. All municipal employees will continue to report to work and will serve the public by telephone, e-mail, regular mail or fax.
Visit the municipal website at www.matawanborough.com for contact information for various municipal offices and employees as well as online services.
- Payments for bills, fees, fines, etc. can be dropped off in the designated drop box at the Borough Hall.
- Vital statistics certified copies can be ordered online or through the mail.
- Boards and Committee meetings scheduled for the remainder of March are cancelled. The only meeting that is still taking place is the Borough Council Meeting on Tuesday, March 17 at 7pm. The public will be granted access to Borough Hall between 6:30-8:30pm on that night only.
- Water and sewer construction payments may be arranged by calling Borough Hall.
- Matawan Borough indoor and outdoor organized activities, events, and sports programs are suspended.
- All essential services including Fire, Police, and DPW will continue in normal operation, with emphasis on limiting unnecessary public contact.
It is incumbent upon all of us to aggressively mitigate the potential for exposure and further spread. We apologize for any inconvenience, but the safety of our employees and the public is our main concern. We appreciate your advance cooperation and understanding during this difficult time.
As part of the state’s coordinated response to address the novel coronavirus outbreak, Governor Phil Murphy declared a State of Emergency and a Public Health Emergency, effective March 9, 2020 to ramp up New Jersey’s efforts to contain the spread of COVID-19. The Borough of Matawan Mayor & Council, Administration, Office of Emergency Management, Police Department and Fire Department are monitoring the developing situation involving presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 in Monmouth County. As of March 13, 2020, the Borough of Matawan is not aware of any presumptive or confirmed positive cases of the COVID-19 virus in Matawan. According to the State of New Jersey Department of Health, there are 5 presumptive positive cases in Monmouth County. For more information, visit the New Jersey COVID-19 Dashboard at https://www.state.nj.us/health/cd/topics/covid2019_dashboard.shtml
Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is the respiratory illness caused by a new virus that first emerged in December 2019. The NJ Department of Health (NJDOH) is leading the state’s response to COVID-19 and is working closely with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. For up-to-date information and recommendations, please visit the NJDOH coronavirus webpage (https://www.nj.gov/health/cd/topics/ncov.shtml) and the CDC coronavirus webpage (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/index.html).