Matawan Police Department
Instructions for Firearms Applicants
Please call the Support Services Supervisor, Sgt. Sean McCabe (732) 290-2026 with questions regarding any firearms applicant-related issue.
FARS Application Procedures for Applicants
Step 1: Visit this website. You MUST enter the site address as follows:
Step 2: The Matawan Police Department ORI number is NJ0132900. You will not be able to
complete the FARS online application without the correct ORI number.
Step 3: Complete the online application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop.
Step 4: You MUST appear at the Matawan Police Department Records Division to pay for your
Initial FID card and/or Pistol Purchase Permits. Your application will not be processed
until you have paid for the FID card/pistol permits. The non-refundable payment is
required to be made prior to the completion of the background investigation as per
Fees: Firearms ID card- $5.00 / Pistol Purchase Permits- $2.00 each. CASH ONLY
Hours: The Records Division is located in the lobby of Police Headquarters and is open
Monday to Friday 8:00 am to 1:00 pm and 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. The Records Division number is 732-290-1657.
As part of the new process, you will receive automated email updates about your application. The NJSP
FAQ’s can be located at https://www.njportal.com/njsp/fars/home/faq. Please review this list before
calling for information.
· Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questionnaire using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to expedite your background investigation.
· The online application is applicant driven. Please ensure you have listed the best phone numbers and email addresses for you and your references.
· If you have been previously fingerprinted for firearms (applying for replacement FID card, address change, pistol permits) you will be prompted to apply for the name check (SB212A) during the process. DO NOT apply for the 212A first or you will be charged twice.
· If you are applying for the first time or are applying for a gender change, you will need to be fingerprinted. You will be prompted to print the IdentoGo form to arrange for fingerprinting.
· Once your application is completed and approved, a department representative will contact you to pick up your FID card and/or pistol permits. Your card/permit(s) will not be released to another person.
Please keep copies of any documents you provide to the police department for your application. These documents are uploaded into the FARS system and physical copies are no longer maintained by the agency. All uploads are automatically purged from the system after 7 years. (name change records, expungement orders, background information, etc.)
You will be notified by telephone once your application has been approved and your paperwork is ready for pick-up.
In the case of a potential denial, you will be scheduled for an in-person, virtual or conference-call meeting with the Support Services Supervisor and the Chief of Police. You will also receive the denial in writing whereby you will receive instructions on the appeal process with Superior Court.